MSCS/LES Dress Code Policy
MSCS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DRESS CODE (Shelby County Schools Policy Number 6021)
To help create the best learning environment for elementary students, the following standards for student dress must be observed in all Shelby County Elementary Schools:
● Pants must be worn at the waist, be appropriately sized, and of a safe length.
● Head apparel (such as hoods, hat, etc.), except for religious or medical reasons, must not be worn inside the school building.
● Footwear is required and must be safe and appropriate for indoor or outdoor physical activity.
● Clothing or accessories may not display offensive, vulgar language or images, nor promote inappropriate and/or illegal products such as alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs.
● “Short shorts”, mini-skirts, and skin-tight outer material such as spandex are inappropriate attire. No shorts or skirts shorter than 4 inches above the knee are allowed.
● Shirts, blouses, and dresses must completely cover the abdomen, back, and shoulders. Shirts or tops must be no longer than wrist-length and must cover the waistband of pants, shorts, or skirts with no midriff visible.
● Waist-length and appropriately sized sweaters, sweatshirts, and lightweight jackets can be worn inside the school for warmth. The school administration reserves the right to determine whether the student’s attire and appearance are within the acceptable limits of decency, modesty, and safety. In matters of opinion, the judgment of the principal/designee shall prevail. The principal may allow exceptions for school-wide programs or special classroom activities. The school administration will administer appropriate consequences for policy infractions.
Dress Code for Lucy Elementary School Lucy Elementary School has a standardized dress code in addition to the MSCS Elementary Dress Code.
1. Slacks, Shorts, Skirts, Jumpers, or Capri's – Uniform Style (tightfitting pants not allowed)
● Navy Blue, Tan Khaki, or Black Shorts, Skirts, and Jumpers to be worn close to the knee (approximately 2 inches from the knee). Please consider girls wearing shorts under skirts and jumpers.
● Belts must be worn if the item has belt loops.
2. Solid golf/polo-style shirts– no stripes or designs
● Pullover, short or long sleeves, collar, and 2-3 buttons
● Any solid color.
● No designer logo on shirts larger than 1 inch in size.
3. Sweaters, Jackets
● Worn open inside the building (avoid pullovers)
● Worn to the hip.
● Lightweight Jackets -Windbreaker Style - worn open.
● Cardigan Sweaters to be worn open. t
● No coats are to be worn inside the building.
4. Shoes are to have an enclosed heel or heel strap, no open toes. Shoes with strings must always be tied. Heels should not be worn. The shoe heel should be no higher than 1½ inches. This includes wedges.
5. No head covering is to be worn inside the building. (Unless for religious significance). Students will be allowed to wear Lucy spirit shirts on Fridays weekly.