Maxine Smith STEAM Academy Enrollment requirements
All Students must have:
- grades of A’s and B’s, with no more than one C as a semester average, on most recent report card.
- Score at or above the 65th percentile on the FastBridge aReading and aMath assessments; score at or above the 65th percentile on the TCAP TNReady English Language Arts and TCAP TNReady Mathematics assessments; score at or above the 65th percentile on the spring NWEA MAP Growth Reading and Mathematics assessments; score at or above the 65th percentile on the Total Reading/Reading Composite and Total Mathematics/Mathematics Composite of an acceptable nationally normed achievement test. Acceptable tests must be dated Spring 2019 or later.
- Have conduct grades of satisfactory or above.
- Have satisfactory attendance (no more than 15 absences and/or tardies to school or to class).
- Students and parents will be required to sign a Parent Student Agreement stating that they understand the expectations of this program and are committed to maintaining them. Once it is determined that the student meets the minimum requirements, an interview will be scheduled.
- Students are required to participate in our Extended Lab activities.
- All students will be on an Optional transfer and must meet and maintain the minimum entrance requirements. Preference will be given to qualified students who live within two miles of the school for 50 percent of the available slots for the first 10 working days of the Optional Application process. The remaining slots will be open to students who qualify.
- To remain in the Optional Program, students must maintain an average of C or above in each subject, each semester, participate in extended day activities and meet the entrance requirements for conduct and attendance.
The Optional Application date is January 28, 2020, at 10:00am. The link will scroll on the Shelby County Schools website, http://www.scsk12.org
A valid email address will be required in order to submit the online application. Current SCS students are encouraged to use their PowerSchool student number. For non-SCS students, a social security number is requested. You will receive an email confirmation with the date and time of your application submission.
We are able to take between 120-125 sixth graders, 3 to 4 seventh graders and 3-4 eighth graders. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. However, we have certain priority categories-sibling preference and proximity zones. The optional office, 416-5338, can tell you if your address falls within that zone. Because we have more applications than available spaces, 20% of our available spaces are through a lottery selection.