WE ARE CURRENTLY FULL for the 2022-2023 school year.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST.
Please click this Prospective Parent link to add your name and email address to our prospective parent/student list.
Maxine Smith STEAM Academy Enrollment requirements
- Applicants must score at or above the 65th percentile on school-based administration of the i-Ready Diagnostic Reading and Math assessments (2021-22); or score at or above the 65th percentile on the TCAP Achievement English Language Arts and TCAP Achievement Mathematics assessments; or score at or above the 65th percentile on the Total Reading/Reading Composite and Total Mathematics/Mathematics Composite of an acceptable nationally normed achievement test. Acceptable tests must be administered in person and dated Spring 2022 or later.
- Have conduct grades of satisfactory or above.
- Have satisfactory attendance (no more than 15 absences and/or tardies to school or to class).
- All students will be on an Optional transfer and must meet and maintain the minimum entrance requirements.
- To remain in the Optional Program, students must maintain an average of C or above in each subject, each semester, and meet the entrance requirements for conduct and attendance.
The Optional Application date is January 31, 2023, and the link will open at 10:00 am. The link will scroll on the Memphis-Shelby County Schools website, http://www.scsk12.org
A valid email address will be required in order to submit the online application. Current MSCS students are encouraged to use their PowerSchool student number. For non-MSCS students, a social security number is requested. You will receive an email confirmation with the date and time of your application submission.
We are able to take between 120-125 sixth graders, 3 to 4 seventh graders and 3-4 eighth graders. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. However, we have certain priority categories-sibling preference and proximity zones. The optional office, 416-5338, can tell you if your address falls within that zone. Because we have more applications than available spaces, 20% of our available spaces are through a lottery selection.