To attend Newcomer International Center potential students must meet the following criteria:
- Be 14-17 years of age
- Have interruptions in formal schooling of one year or more OR may not have proof of schooling in home country
- Have lived in the USA less than one calendar year from date of enrollment
- Score less than 2.0 on WIDA Screener (Test for English Proficiency)
Call 901-492-1506 or 901-416-6055 Monday-Friday 9:00-3:00 for more information or to set up an appointment to enroll.
Required Documents for Enrollment
- Birth Certificate (If not available, bring US Customs Detention Center exit papers.)
- Proof of Guardianship if parent is not enrolling the student (Note: If student is an unaccompanied minor and meets the enrollment criteria listed above, no further documentation is necessary.)
- Tennessee Proof of Vaccination (If not available, bring US Customs Dentention Center exit papers. Students have ten school days to bring in Tennessee Proof of Vaccination.)
- Proof of Address Student must live in Shelby County Schools district. Proof can be in the form of a bill, a bank statement, or some other document that has the guardian's name and address on it. If guardian cannot prove residency, but lives with someone in the school district, the guardian must provide a "Shared Housing Affidavit" that has been notorized. The Shared Housing Affidavit form can be obtained in our main office.