Who is an Elementary School Counselor?
An Elementary School Counselor is a certified professional who works within a child's total environment to assist him/her in addressing his/her academic, behavioral, emotional, and social needs.A School Counselor helps to empower children to feel good about themselves and aids them in the process of making positive decisions that lead to healthy and meaningful lives.
What does the Elementary School Counselor do?
- Serves as a "friendly helper" for ALL students and works with students on an individual basis and in small groups
- Facilitates classroom guidance and counseling sessions, helps identify student needs, and assists in the assessment of students with special needs
- Coordinates the Elementary Instructional Support Team (IST), a group of professionals that reviews, develops and helps to implement appropriate interventions for at-risk students
- Oversees Character Education initiatives at the elementary level
- Consults with parents, teachers, administrators, and community agencies and aids in coordinating referrals to outside agencies