Bruce Elementary School prepares children to become confident lifelong learners, creative problem solvers, and responsible citizens in their communities and the world.
1. Creating an environment of high-level content knowledge through rigorous instruction.
2. Creating a college-going culture.
Facts About Bruce:
- The original Bruce Elementary School was built in 1908.
- On October 3rd, 1961, 13 African-American first grade students were enrolled in schools that were previously all white. The 13 students became known as the Memphis 13. Bruce was one of the 4 schools (Gordon, Rozelle, and Springdale) to integrate Memphis schools. The 3 brave students who integrated Bruce in 1961 were Dwania Kyles, Harry Williams, and Michael Willis (Menelik Fombi).
- The current Bruce School was built in 1999.
- Bruce was recognized as a 2018 State of Tennessee Reward School.
- Fall 2019 MSCS Elementary Basketball League Champions
- In 2022, Bruce Elementary was recognized as a Reward School & earned a Level 4 Status.
STUDENT PROGRAMS & ACTIVITIES
Bruce offers programs, guest speakers and extracurricular activities that enhance our curriculum. Some of our unique activities include:
- Art Club
- Basketball Team
- Beta Club
- Black History Month (February)
- Book Club
- Career Day
- Community Garden
- Dance Team
- Dr. Seuss’ Read to Achieve Day (March)
- Fall Carnival
- Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras Parade (February)
- Field Day (May)
- Gentlemen’s League
- Hispanic Heritage Month (Sept-Oct)
- International Festival
- Junior Entrepreneurs
- Leading Ladies
- Safety Patrol
- Spring Fest
- Spelling Bee (December)
- Step Team
- Student Council
We are here to assist you. Call us at 416-4495 or send us an email to BruceBulldogs@gmail.com for more information on our school and our programs.