Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. L. Isom
Open Dialogue with the School Principal
Learn directly from the school principal, about how the school is performing academically, and about efforts to ensure that children are meeting proficiency standards across school subjects.
- Hold an open dialogue with the school principal/ school counselor
- Address questions about school issues and concerns directly with the principal
Question to think about after a meeting with school administration
- Were you satisfied that the principal made a good faith effort to help you understand what you wanted to understand?
- Were you satisfied with the responses?
- What was the most important thing you learned about your school during the principal’s visit today?
- What would you like to know more about?
Brownsville Road Optional School
Parent and Family Engagement Plan
School Year: 2020- 2021
This Parent and Family Engagement Plan was jointly developed and agreed upon with parents to establish the expectations for parental involvement. We believe that education begins in the home; therefore, Brownsville Road seeks to unite family, school, and community by jointly developing a school-parent compact with parents and families. We urge parents and families to take an active role in the academic and extra-curricular activities of our students.
In an effort to draw the school experience into our students’ home lives, we encourage parents and family to do the following:
- Serve on the site-based leadership team and join the PTSA.
- Attend the Annual Title 1 meeting, grade level meetings, parent meetings, parent conferences, school programs and PTSA meetings.
- Volunteer their talents/services/time to the instructional program.
- Include strategies for parents to attend professional development available to staff.
Title 1 Involvement
The administration, faculty, and staff will provide a strategic plan and implement Title 1 requirements according to the guidelines set forth in the law, which includes the following:
- Make parents aware of Title 1 and our participation by convening an annual parent meeting about school programs.
- Provide parents and family with limited English proficiency, disabilities, and parents of migratory children access and opportunity to fully participate in school programs and the education of their children.
- Provide parents and family with information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and activities in a language the parents can understand.
- Involve parents and family in an organized, on-going, and timely way in planning, review, and improvement of the school parental and family involvement policy and joint development of he school-wide program plan (SIP).
To ensure that the parents and family of Brownsville Road Optional School participate in the development and implementation of the school’s program, we will do the following:
- Provide timely information to parents and family about school programs and activities through a flexible number of meetings-morning or evenings, school newsletter, school website, emails, flyers, and a school calendar.
- Provide opportunities for regular meetings to which all parents are invited to inform parents and family of Title1 requirements, the school’s participation in Title 1, and the right of parents to be involved in decisions relating to the education of their children.
- Provide parents and family with a descriptive explanation of curriculum in use at the school, forms of academic assessment used to measure student progress, and the proficiency levels students are expected to meet.
- Build parent and family capacity for involvement by educating staff with the assistance of parents to value the contributions of parents, work and communicate with parents as equal partners to implement and coordinate parent programs and build strong school home ties.
- Build parent and family capacity for involvement by providing parents with assistance in understanding topics about state academic content standards, assessments, and materials and training to improve their child’s achievement.