Welcome to the Winridge Elementary School
Ms. Sheila Johnson
Professional School Counselor
The mission of the Winridge Elementary School Counseling Program is to provide a proactive, comprehensive, and developmentally appropriate program to address students' academic and career goals in addition to supporting their personal and social needs. This is accomplished through a partnership with parents/guardians, staff, and community members to enable all students to become successful, productive citizens and lifelong learners in a diverse and changing world.
The Goals of the Winridge Elementary School Counseling Program Are:
- To assist students with educational, personal, career, and goal planning.
- To develop personalized programs based on each student’s strength’s and needs.
- To help students understand themselves and others.
- To assist students in identifying and dealing with problems.
- To facilitate the identification of students with special needs.
- To provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- To coordinate referrals to school and community support services.
Students, I am here to help you with:
- Working Out Friendship Problems
- Setting Goals
- Study Skills & Organization
- Working Well with Others
- Adjusting to A New School
- Decision Making
- Managing your feelings (stress, worry, anger, etc.)
- Dealing with Peer Pressure & Bullying
Parents, I am available to assist and provide you with:
- Exploring Ways to Help Your Child Succeed
- Improving Parent-Child Communications
- Referrals for Community Sources
- Understanding The Developmental Changes of Childhood
Referrals for outside counseling services are available for children experiencing grief, divorce, family separation, deployment, or mental health concerns.
Counseling Support Services
Student Review Team
The Student Review Team (SRT) is a group of school specialists who meet on a regular basis and implements a systemic process, utilizing school and community resources to remove barriers to learning. The SRT can support students who are having problems in the following areas:
Teachers, school personnel, and parents can refer a student to a Student Review Team (SRT). The Student Review Team will review the available information and plan appropriate intervention services. When intervention plans have failed to improve the problems, the SRT will refer the student for additional services (such as functional behavior assessment/behavior intervention plan, 504 eligibility review, special education evaluation, mental health services, and speech-language evaluation).
If you would like to referral a child for any of the counseling services, please click on the following link.